Monday, March 16, 2009

Big city life


Classes at one university have started, and this week my class with the program will start along with UBA, Universidad de Buenos Aires. We had to take an exam to be able to take courses in the UBA Social Sciences departments, and the building was full of character. Tons of political graffiti on the inside walls, the halls we full of posters, crumbling stairwells; I think it’s going to be pretty awesome.

This past week I haven’t slowed down on exploring the city. I checked out the Malba museum which hosts a variety of art, but all Latin American. Some modern art but the most famous piece by far is Frida’s self-portrait. After that I went to my host mum’s boyfriends apartment for an asada. That was probably the best meat I have ever had. They have a fire going first, then use the hot coals under the meat to cook it. I don’t really know much about meat, but I’m pretty sure he did a really good job.

Last night was an exciting night. I checked out a Boca soccer game. The stadium was chaos inside and out. Surrounding the “Bombenera” there were grills on every corner and the smoke soaking into my clothes, I was a walking parilla (grill). We bought tickets off of a scalper type, and headed in to find we were in the populares; standing room only. Luckily, we got there pretty early and I didn’t have anyone in front of me. The game was exciting and the fans were singing the whole time. I even learned a couple chants, most were pretty inappropriate but definitely catchy. Boca ended up winning 3-0, I’m glad there were happy celebrations afterwards and I didn’t have to see the upset masses.

Things are still going well here. I can’t believe it’s been nearly a month since I’ve been down there. I’m content with my choice of Buenos Aires. One of my few complaints is about my bed…if anyone wants to ship me a SleepNumber, I’ll gladly accept.

Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment