Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Semana Santa


It is difficult to get back into a routine of schoolwork. Last week I only had one day of class, and then we got a long weekend for Easter. Gery, a friend from Bolivia, came here to BsAs. It had been two years since I saw her, time flies. It was a lot of fun to hang out with her again, she of course was traveling with her time off too. After a day with Gery, I migrated south of Buenos Aires to two different towns. The first stop I made was in Pinamar, a very laid back and family fun sort of beach town. The beach there lacked the crowds, was very clean, and great for long walks on the beach. I tagged along with my buddy Sam and 6 other girls I had met once before. We squeezed 8 into a 5 person room, poor Sam being the only boy. Well maybe lucky Sam for being the only boy.

From there I went down to met up with my friend Liz in Mar del Plata, a bigger city with less impressive beaches. The people however were still pretty laid back and the vacation mentality was obvious. Easter weekend is practically the last weekend of summer for these Argentines so everyone hit the beach. In Mar del Plata the beaches were crowded and sprinkled with trash, not my favorite. However I didn’t spend much time on the beach, we wandered around the city a bit and ended up at the port. A big tourist attraction there are the sea lions, los lobos marinos. Big, stinky and hilarious is how I would describe los lobos. Our last day there we tried to take surfing lessons, but turns out they were done. We drove in the ocean anyway even though it was a cold fall day and we were the only ones on the beach, the complete opposite from the day before. The bus system here in Argentina is very impressive. (I’d say better than the airlines.) I had a comfortable seat and they even served some food. It was stellar.

I’m back now in Buenos Aires, doing Spanish language exercises. Not quite as fun as the beach. I’ve got plans to head to Colonia, Uruguay this up coming weekend. Sin parar, digamos. (We call that non-stop.) Life is good here in Argentina. It’s becoming fall, and people are breaking out the jackets, I’m still sporting a t-shirt, but I’m sure I’ll adjust to the “cold” soon.

Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment